It started before dawn. Eight strikes, one runway, and a message aimed squarely at Ankara. Overnight on 18-19 August 2026, Israeli jets cratered the Abu Duhur air base in Syria's Idlib province, and by sunrise the diplomatic fallout was louder than the bombs.
What made this one different: the sharpest public rebuke did not come from an adversary. It came from Washington.
Informations clés
| Cible | Abu Duhur (Abu al-Duhur) air base, runway and storage |
| Emplacement | Idlib province, northwest Syria |
| Date | Overnight 18-19 August 2026 |
| Strikes | Eight airstrikes; damage, no casualties (Syrian state TV) |
| Israel's stated aim | Prevent Turkish troops deploying; preserve the security status quo |
| Reaction | Syria and Turkey condemn; US envoy calls it an unnecessary escalation |
Eight strikes on a runway
Israel struck the Abu Duhur air base in northwest Syria early on Tuesday, saying it aimed to prevent Turkish troops from deploying there, according to The Associated Press. Syrian state TV reported that eight strikes hit the runway of the base in Idlib province, causing damage but no casualties.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a war monitor, said Turkey, a main backer of Syria's government, had been rehabilitating the airfield, which had sat out of service for years during the country's long civil war.

Israel's reasoning: a status quo it says was breached
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Israel attacked because Syria had been "on the verge of breaching" an agreed-upon "status quo in security matters" by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at the base. Israel, it added, had repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to its security, and that Syria chose to ignore those warnings.
Turkey and Israel hold close, competing interests in post-Assad Syria. Since Bashar Assad's government fell in December 2024, the two rivals have jockeyed to curb each other's influence, and this strike pushed that quiet contest into the open.
Israel blames Turkey after the strike on a Syrian air base (FRANCE 24 English).
Syria and Turkey condemn the attack
Syria's Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shibani told reporters in Damascus that Syria condemns the "Israeli aggression," calling the strikes an unjustified provocation, a violation of Syria's sovereignty, and a direct threat to regional and global stability. Turkey's Foreign Ministry condemned the attack and urged the international community to take a more decisive stance. Qatar, Egypt and Saudi Arabia issued statements of condemnation too.
The rare US rebuke
Then came the line few expected. Tom Barrack, the US ambassador to Turkey and special envoy to Syria, posted on X that Washington is deeply concerned the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability.
Barrack added that the government of interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa had neither adopted a predatory posture nor maintained proxy forces, and had repeatedly signaled a preference for de-escalation. US-mediated talks between Israel and Syria have run for more than a year without a deal, and this runway, for now, is one more crater between them.
Sources: NPR/Associated Press, Al Jazeera, CBS News, The Jerusalem Post




0 commentaire